Presenter Resource Center
Below you will find important guidelines for multimedia
, and poster
guidelines. Please take the time to review prior to preparing your presentation. Also, we invite you to use the following resouces:
Poster and Multimedia Presentations
If your abstract was selected for a multimedia presentation you will be provided with a poster board for your poster presentation as well as a table for your laptop. Please note that neither a dedicated electrical outlet nor laptops will be provided. There will be a laptop charging station in the exhibit hall and electrical outlets in the convention center for charging devices. Please be sure to charge your laptop prior to your scheduled presentation.
We are not responsible for any computers or personal property left unattended in the exhibit hall.
The following guidelines have been prepared to help improve the effectiveness of poster communication.
- First, identify the two or three principal messages you have to convey. Choose a title that captures your main point. You should offer a comprehensive scientific presentation, even if offered by a commercial organization.
- Prepare a heading at the top of your poster indicating the abstract title, authors, and affiliations.
- Lettering should be at least 1 in (2.54 cm) high.
- Summarize current research in graphic form whenever possible; use charts, tables, graphs, pictures, etc. and minimize the amount of text.
- Arrange materials in columns and use "white space" to help direct readers logically through your poster.
- Prepare your poster on laminated poster paper or fabric and mount on the poster board with the board number provided.
- Posters should be self-explanatory but not comprehensive. You will supplement and elaborate during your conversations with others, but many people will view your poster when you are not present.
- Your presentation must be readable from distances of at least 3 feet (90 cm). Keep visual materials simple and clear.
- Provide information in smaller type below the heading. Details of methodology should be brief and should be placed at the end of the legend.
- Simple use of color can add emphasis.
- Do not write or paint directly on the poster boards.
Before You Travel
Many airlines are now requiring that poster tubes be checked rather than brought as carry-on luggage. In case your poster does not arrive, we suggest you bring a smaller version of your poster presentation on A4 size paper as well as a copy of the presentation on a USB thumb drive.
- The poster-board usable surface area is 95 centimeters wide (37.4 inches) x 180 centimeters high (70.86 inches). Please be sure your poster does not exceed this area.
- Velcro will be necessary to attach your poster to the board.
- Do not leave personal materials or belongings at poster boards or in the poster area. ISAC/CYTO is not responsible for any articles left in the poster area or elsewhere.
- All poster boards are pre-numbered. Please be certain to mount your poster on the correct board.
- You must register and wear an official CYTO 2018 badge to access the poster area.
Oral Presentation Guidelines
The Speaker Ready Room will be in Meeting Room 2.1 and will be available to speakers from Friday, April 27 to Wednesday, May 2:
Friday, April 27: 1200-1700
Saturday, April 28: 730-1700
Sunday, April 29: 730-1700
Monday, April 30: 730-1700
Tuesday, May 1: 730-1700
Wednesday, May 2: 730-1700
Presenters are encouraged to test their presentations in the speaker ready room at least 4 hours prior to the start of their session. There is no uploading process for this conference but this will give you the ability of seeing that everything displays correctly on our LCD projectors and give you a chance to make any adjustments prior to the session you will be presenting in. The LCD projectors in the Speaker Ready Room will be the same as the ones used in all the session rooms.
Presentation Information and Instructions
- Speakers must arrive in the session room 45 minutes before their session begins. There will be a technician in each session room that will assist you with getting set up. The technician will load your talk onto the existing laptop or if you wish to use your own laptop assist you in getting tied into the HDMI switcher in the room. This will eliminate any delays to the start of the session.
- Session rooms will be equipped with a LCD projector, screen, a PC computer with open USB ports for flash drives, a laser pointer, as well as a wireless lavaliere microphone, table top microphone and aisle microphone. The laptop provided will be equipped with PowerPoint 2016 and Abode Acrobat Reader 11 (PDF-based).
- Speakers should create their presentations in a 16:9 format, (4:3 should work also) and use standard fonts (e.g., Times New Roman, Helvetica, etc.). An unusual font may not translate to the computer provided for presenting. If you are using a font that is not standard, it should be embedded into your PowerPoint presentation.
- Enhance the legibility of text and diagrams by maintaining color and intensity contrast. Use white or light yellow text and lines on black or dark blue backgrounds, and use darker colors on white or light backgrounds. Avoid red or dark green on blue background, on white background, and avoid yellow.
- We recommend that presenters bring a backup of their presentation on a USB flash drive and include all external files in their presentations including movies or sounds files to cover the possibility of luggage loss, theft, and/or incompatibility.
- You do not need to bring your own laptop to the meeting room. However, if you would prefer to use your own laptop for your presentation, please review the following:
- Anyone choosing to use their own laptop should bring their power adapter and any required video adaptors in order to interface with the projectors. Verify the interface that your laptop uses. Our switcher use HDMI cabling. Mini Display Port (commonly used on Macs) and Full Size HDMI adapters will be available. If your laptop uses a different interface you will need to bring your own adapter that will connect to the HDMI cable to our switchers as they will NOT BE PROVIDED.
- Set the output resolution on your laptop to (1280 x 720). Know how to get the image to the external port of the laptop. Instructions are in each laptop operator's manual. (If the external port is not always "on," it is usually a function key, or combination of shift plus a function key, that may turn on the external port, or possible cycle through laptop screen, external port, or both.)
If you would like more practice, you can try apps
to help you reduce the number of umms or ahhs, get the right rhythm in your speech, or calm your nerves.
Copy our social media badge and let people know you're presenting!